Gallery2 -The Patna golf club has its origins in the year 1916 and is located next to the Patna zoo
Gallery3 - Spread over 145 acres , the Patna golf course has 14 greens . 3 greens are shared while 1 is a massive double green
Gallery4 - The greenside bunker is a hazard ,but the little palm in the planter alongside is a unwelcome hazard too
Gallery5 -A golfer tees up at the Patna Golf club
Gallery6 -The Patna golf course has a very mature tree line
Gallery7 -Access to the Patna Golf club is very easy & the green fees are very affordable
Gallery8 - The greens at the Patna Golf club are well maintained . Photos shows the large green that is a double green
Gallery9- The Patna golf club has a clubhouse , pro shop , driving range & training facilities
About this course
The Patna Golf club is a 18 hole layout that plays to 6768 yards as a Par 70 course. The golf course has a history that dates back to the early 1900′s when it was part of a club called the South Bihar Gymkhana Club. The golf course is designed over 14 greens – 3 holes have common greens while 1 hole has a DOUBLE greens ! Access to the course is easy & the green fees are very affordable (Weekday/ Weekend fees were 150 INR as of March 2013).
The course is located next to the PATNA ZOO (which is easily the most popular picnic stop in Patna) & close to the Airport. The club has a active golfing community & over the years has built & grown the game of golf through a concerted effort to promote the game amongst the youth. A training academy with a driving range was inaugurated in 2012. This is a floodlit range facility & will spur the growth of the game further. They have a qualified teaching professional who is certified by the NGAI making it easy to learn the game of golf. Get details in the Amenities section.
All pics for this course are courtesy of PRANAV SAHU
HISTORY OF THE CUB – Excerpts from the club: 1916 was a hallmark year in the history of Patna with the founding of the ‘South Bihar Gymkhana Club’ which was later rechristened as the Patna Golf Club. Sprawling over 165 acres this is the sole club for the golf lovers. Spear-headed by the British Officers, the reason this club came into being was due to the increasing demand of a club that provided outdoor sports, Even though the Bankipore Club had been in existence at that point of time, it only provided a limited number of indoor games along with lawn tennis and hence simply maintained a status of being a ‘social club’. Thus began the formation of the ‘South Bihar Gymkhana Club’ which stretched from Government House in the west to Bihar Gymkhana Club in the south. The 1st secretary and president of the club were H. K Briscoe and W. Maude. Formerly, the club used to serve as the ground for playing golf and polo by the British Officers and the socialites. After the Second World War, the British lost interest in maintaining the club’s ground and polo’s popularity as a sport also diminished. In 1956, the District Judges J. G. Shearer and K. Banerji stepped in and decided to take necessary measures for the revival of the club’s golfing activities. The name of club was changed from the ‘South Bihar Gymkhana Club’ to ‘Patna Golf Club’ and consequently, the ground, solely began being used for golf.
Through its glorious journey the Patna Golf Club has pioneered and encouraged the game of Golf amongst all ages and sections of society. At the outset, only a handful of people indulged in the game and even in terms of gaining membership to the club, the numbers of takers were limited. A drive had to literally be launched to induct new members. Gradually in the mid-sixties, things started looking up, memberships increased immensely and golf gained prominence. The vast course serves as a training ground to the young budding golfers to achieve their dreams in the days to come. Many popularl golf tournaments such as Basant Utsav, Heat and Dust Golf Tournament etc, are hosted by the club annually. Due to all these endeavours the magnificent game of Golf has found an irreplaceable place in the state of Bihar.